Sunday, January 26, 2014

Point Loma Seafood's


Being right on the coast, one would expect that San Diego has some good seafood, right?  While driving around the Harbor Island area, my family and I came upon a small seafood market and restaurant.  Since this place is situated right on a marina, they have access to some of the freshest seafood this side of the Pacific.

This place sells seafood bought from local fishermen and importers as well as prepared seafood dishes.  Nothing fancy about the food here.  Just salads, sandwiches, platters, soups, and even sushi.  They also bake their own sourdough bread, which is really good.



What everyone usually comes here for is the cod sandwich.  Three Alaskan cod filets are deep fried and served with pesto mayo on sourdough.  Now, I'm not a big fan of mayo, but I do love pesto.  To me, pesto is the savory version of peanut butter or Nutella.  It's simple, delicious eating at its finest.


There is a major section of the restaurant dedicated to hot smoked fish.  They use a wide variety of dish such as salmon, halibut, swordfish, yellowtail, wahoo, and tuna.  There is a variety of salmon parts that are smoked including the filet, belly, and collar.

My personal favorites are the salmon collar and belly.  Both pieces are very oily, which is a good thing.  These are omega-3 fatty acids.  And they are more palatable than the filets in my opinion.  The filets only consist of meat.  So when it's exposed to heat, it dries out quickly since there is no place to attain the moisture.  That's were the fat and bones come in.  The bones maintain the moisture in the meat while the fat adds moisture.  The end result is fish butter.  Goes great on bread, by the way.

There's also tuna jerky.  I don't eat jerky, so I'm kind of a novice with this.  It was quite chewy and hard, but I guess that's typical of jerky.  But this is packed with lots of smoky flavor from the cooking process.

There's indoor and outdoor seating, both with great views of the marina.  I wish I could have enjoyed it, but I had places to go and things to do.  And that's my last taste of San Diego for this trip.

Point Loma Seafood's
2805 Emerson St
San Diego, CA 92106

No comments:

Post a Comment