Friday, January 10, 2014

Bob's Shanghai 66

In a previous post, I talked about how there are a couple of Shanghainese restaurants in Rockville.  Well, I'm now going to talk about the other one.  This is the sister restaurant of Bob's Noodle 66, which relocated to its own space across the street.

After having here been here twice for dinner, I will list out some of the dishes that I liked and which I recommend.  Some items here are on the main menu, which the restaurant calls Shanghainese tapas.  These don't come with rice, for some reason.  There are also some off menu items as well, which do come with rice.  So here it goes.

Spicy Lamb
I had this dish during my first visit to the restaurant and stood out out of every dish I had.  The lamb is cooked with two kinds of chili peppers and garlic, making the dish very fragrant.  To my surprise, it's not as spicy as it looks.  Even my parents, who are afraid of spicy food, really enjoyed this.

Double Cooked Pork (Twice Cooked Pork)
Like the lamb, this dish is also spicy, as you can probably tell from the chili oil.  The pork is cooked by itself first, then cooked again with napa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and bell peppers, hence the named twice cooked pork.

AA Choy (Arden Lettuce)
Something strange about the menu is that there are no exclusively vegetable dishes.  They are only listed off menu and are usually steamed and sautéed with garlic.  I strongly suggest getting one of these dishes to provide some balance to the meal.  I like this vegetable because this is probably the only restaurant in the area that serves this vegetable.

Rockfish
I'm a big seafood fan.  And any restaurant that serves steamed whole fish always impresses me.  This is off the menu as well and is listed in a back corner of the restaurant.  It's cooked with leeks, scallions, cilantro, and oil then finished with soy sauce.  There are other ways it can be prepared, such as spicy with a chili garlic sauce.  But for a clean white fish like rockfish, steamed is the way to go.

Taiwanese Shaved Ice
Although it is not Shangainese per se, it is a popular dish back when it was still a Taiwanese restaurant. This is commonly eaten in Northern China during the summer when it can get very hot, and I know from experience having been to Beijing.  It's basically a mountain of finely shaved ice topped with a  choice of toppings.  This one has adzuki (red) beans, two kinds of jelly, and honey.  

Now they also serve soup dumplings as well.  There are two kinds: pork and pork with crabmeat.  But I find that the dumplings are not authentic.  The skin is much thicker and darker than the ones at Shanghai Taste.  

Bob's Shanghai 66
305 N Washington St.
Rockville, MD 20850

No comments:

Post a Comment