Sunday, April 26, 2015

Keren Restaurant

I'm always up for trying something new.  That's just a part of my adventurous spirit.  But sadly, I haven't been doing much adventuring lately.  The harsh realities of a working professional seem to always hamper the way I want to live.  But now that I have returned, I think it's time to bring back that spirit.

I have always known that there is a large Ethiopian population in the DC area and plenty of restaurants to reflect it.  But for some reason, I have never been able to have the drive to do so.

Even though the restaurant is classified as an Eritrean restaurant, much of the menu is similar to classic Ethiopian fare.  There are also salads and some breakfast items that seem kind of Westernized.  There are also some Italian style entrees as well, harking to Eritrea's colonial past.  For those who aren't that adventurous, maybe a cotoletta or fried meat cutlet over pasta would be good.  

I ordered the Keren Special with my dining companion. This traditional spread is perfect for sharing with 2 or 3 people.

I like this style of food as it contains a plethora of vegetables and some meat placed in the middle of the injera bread.  There are lentils, house salad, cabbage, potato and carrot, spinach, and chickpeas.  And plopped in the middle is some tibs or meat stew cooked with spices and onions.  And from what I've heard, it can be really spicy especially when berbere is added.  This version however, is not the spicy kind.

It is served with more injera on a separate plate.  This flatbread is made of teff flour and has a slight sour taste.  The injera is the main utensil for this kind of meal.  You just rip a piece and pinching any variety of the stews and veggies into the bread and eat it.  Once you run out, you can start eating the injera soaked with the stew.

Even though it was one order, it is certainly enough for 2 people to share.  Hell, I nearly bursted at the seems near the end.  It was probably the bread because it makes you fat.  I feel much more satisfied now that I have been able to experience what I have been missing out for so long.  I'll be looking out for more food from the Horn of Africa region.

1780 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20009

No comments:

Post a Comment