Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Lunch Specials: Tempo Doeloe

On this edition of lunch specials, I'm in the Atlanta area.  The northeast to be exact.

In a 6 mile stretch of Buford Highway in the town of Doraville, you can eat your way through the whole world.  There are lots of ethnic restaurants and shops in the area, including Korean, Chinese, and Mexican among others.  However, I found something that I did not expect to find at all: Indonesian.  

Like many restaurants around here, this hole in the wall is tucked away in one of the many strip malls that dot the whole landscape.  There are a handful of tables, a TV showing Indonesian programming of some sort, and a small small kitchen in the back.

One of the things that brought me here was their lunch combo for $6.94 including tax. You get a lunch box with rice and 3 dishes from their small buffet.  For me, I got beef rendang, sayur lodeh (vegetable curry with coconut milk), and fish.  I also got fermented chili paste or sambal on the side.  


Each dish requires lots of ingredients to make and thus have very unique flavors.  Coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, chilies, ginger, and a variety of vegetables are combined to create these complex dishes.  Sounds very similar Thai food but the here the overall taste is not as clean.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

For me, this was a stepping stone into Indonesian food.  You can't ask for anything better than a decent amount of great food at a cheap price.

5090 Buford Highway Suite 103
Doraville, GA 30340

No comments:

Post a Comment