Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hash House a Go Go

Usually, I don't go out for breakfast or brunch.  Maybe it's because it's all standard stuff: eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, sandwiches, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I like that stuff.  But, I do like some change.   Or something that I can't make at home.

Hash House specializes in what they call Midwestern farm food with a twist.  Usually, that means super-sizing the portions, or creating combinations you'd least expect.  A typical plate is about a foot long.  Another twist is that they have a full bar here that's open during restaurant hours.  You can have a Bloody Mary, a PBR, or a mimosa with your waffles.  Now that's pretty badass.  So badass that they have a pretty decent celebrity clientele here.  Neil Patrick Harris was here.  He apparently really liked the pancakes, which are the size of actual cakes.

So here is what my family and I got during our visit here.

S'mores Mocha

My sister starts things off with a giant and delectable coffee drink.  Since I don't drink coffee, I can't describe the taste, but I would definitely recommend anyone who orders those weird drinks from Starbucks to try this.  It's got actual Graham crackers, marshmallows, and fudge.  No artificial ingredients here.

Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

I'm not kidding when I say super-size.  The pork cutlet is almost the size of the plate if you place it lengthwise.  It looks like it has been hit with gamma rays, so I called it "the Incredible Pork."  Its served with onions, pickles, and ketchup on a wheat bun.  The pork is perfectly fried and surprisingly tasty, reminiscent of tonkatsu.

Tractor Driver Combo

For this plate, you get eggs, sausage or bacon, and a choice of a pancake, waffle, or french toast.  This  one has scrambled eggs, sausage links, and a bacon stuffed waffle.  So cool.

Bacon and Mashed Potato Burger

Yes, there are two strips of bacon and mashed potatoes stuffed between two patties.  Mashed potatoes in a burger, who would have thought of that?  Add the fries and you've got a potato overload.  I like the toasted brioche bun, which gives the burger a nice buttery texture.

Fried Chicken Benedict
This dish was featured on Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel a few years ago.  It's an absolute behemoth of food.  A layer cake of excess.  A showstopper.  Whatever I call it, it blows my mind how this was ever conceived.  Just look at a cross section of this thing.

It begins with griddled mashed potatoes.  The second layer consists of a buttermilk biscuit, spinach, tomatoes, fried spaghetti.  Lasts comes the sage fried chicken, which is breaded with corn flakes.  It is then topped with griddled mozzarella, scrambled eggs, and a chipotle cream sauce.  And there is some fruit on the side to lighten things up.

I have been here twice now and each time has excited me.  Not only does the come in great quantities, but also great quality.  And it's not just the food I have had, but also those of the people sitting around us.  I got see some of the ways Hash House is changing the way breakfast and brunch is made.  It could be a tower of chicken and waffles, a hot dog served with a beer in a brown bag and a side of bacon, or Snickers pancakes.  But what gives me the greatest kick is their reactions to the food.  It's the looks of shock, awe, and puzzlement.  Or the whispers of "Wow", "How can I eat this whole thing?", and "I've got breakfast, lunch, and dinner right here." I saw one large party where each person looked at each other speechless with their eyes and mouths wide open.  This is probably one of the few restaurants I have had fun eating at.

If only there was a place like this in the DC Metro area, I would go out for brunch or breakfast more often.  They seem just a little too familiar.  Washington may never change, but I'm sure that breakfast can.

Endnote:  I am aware that there are two other locations on the Strip (The Quad and Imperial Palace Hotels).  This is the original Vegas location and do not know how good the Strip locations are compared to this one.  All I know is that the first restaurant is in San Diego and they have also expanded to Chicago, Reno, Orlando, and Montville, Connecticut.

Hash House a Go Go
6800 E Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89146

No comments:

Post a Comment